How do I start or stop service?

Purchasing or selling a home   

If you are buying or selling a home, you will need to contact us to provide us with the seller’s name, property address, forwarding address, closing date, and buyer’s name. The owner is responsible for water and sewer charges. If you purchase a property and the final bill is not paid at closing, it becomes the new owner's responsibility to pay the outstanding charge. Check with your escrow company to make sure they are paying the closing bill.

Rental properties  
The property owner receives the bill for rental property accounts.  Please contact us if you would like to set up a property management company or third party payer.

Extended vacation or vacancy  

If you will be gone for an extended period of time, you may want to consider requesting a temporary stop service. There is a fee for turning off the service and for turning it back on. If you would like to temporarily stop service, contact us at 425-806-6881.

Show All Answers

1. How do I start or stop service?
2. What does Owner Only Accounts mean?
3. What type of payment options are available?
4. How do I create an Online Self-Service Account?
5. How do I link my Utility Billing account to your Online Self-Service Account?
6. How do I pay my bill and/or enroll in auto-pay online?
7. How do I sign up for e-delivery of my bill?
8. How do I change my billing address?
9. How do I view my prior consumption (water used)?
10. How do I view my past bills?
11. How do I reset my password?
12. How do I notify you about an extended vacation or vacancy?
13. What do I do about water leaks or requesting credits to my bill for charges from water leaks?
14. Who can pay a City of Bothell Water & Sewer bill?
15. Why do I receive a bill from King County?