How do I change my billing address?
  1. Click Citizen Self Service on the left-hand side.
  2. Expand the Utility Billing Account by clicking the “+” button
  3. Click the Account number
  4. Click Request Change of Address at the top of the screen
  5. Enter your change of address in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS and click Submit

Note: An email address is required to submit a change of address online

Show All Answers

1. How do I start or stop service?
2. What does Owner Only Accounts mean?
3. What type of payment options are available?
4. How do I create an Online Self-Service Account?
5. How do I link my Utility Billing account to your Online Self-Service Account?
6. How do I pay my bill and/or enroll in auto-pay online?
7. How do I sign up for e-delivery of my bill?
8. How do I change my billing address?
9. How do I view my prior consumption (water used)?
10. How do I view my past bills?
11. How do I reset my password?
12. How do I notify you about an extended vacation or vacancy?
13. What do I do about water leaks or requesting credits to my bill for charges from water leaks?
14. Who can pay a City of Bothell Water & Sewer bill?
15. Why do I receive a bill from King County?