SR 522 Stage 3
This project is a continuation of the SR 522 Stage 1 and Stage 2 improvements. It will provide road improvements, Business Access and Transit (BAT) lanes from the end of Stage 1 and 2 improvements to 83rd Place NE (the new western City limits). This stage of the project is part of the Sound Transit SR 522/NE 145th Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project that will widen the existing lanes of SR 522 and create BAT lanes in both directions.
Additionally, this project will add a sidewalk on the north side, install center medians and street lights, and relocate utilities underground.
Background and Community Benefits
Transit speed and reliability would be improved with the installation of BAT lanes where none exists. This would support the vision of downtown Bothell as a transit-friendly urban core. Installation of a sidewalk on the north side of the highway would allow the neighborhoods to access intersections along SR 522 and cross the regional trail system. This would promote pedestrian and bicycle usage.
The Sound Transit 3 ballot measure allocated funding for this project. The City held a Public Hearing regarding an appeal of the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) threshold determination for this project on August 18, 2016. Read the notice.
The design and right-of-way (ROW) phases of this project were completed in 2018. On March 19th, 2019, the City Council awarded a construction contract to Thomco Construction, Inc., the lowest responsive and responsible bidder.
Construction started on Monday, Apr. 29, 2019 and is expected to be completed in Fall 2021.
The Contractor has completed all substantial work associated with installing the retaining walls along the south side of SR 522. They’ve continued to prepare for the new eastbound lanes by grading the subgrade in preparation of paving, prior to the upcoming traffic shift. This final prep work over the next few weeks necessitates restricting traffic to three lanes, which began on Monday, 3/8. Next phase of construction work will include construction of the north soldier pile wall, sidewalk/planter strips, driveways, water/sewer service, street lighting, and reconstruction and paving of westbound lanes. It is expected to begin in early April 2021.
Traffic Impacts (click here for traffic alerts page)
This project will continue through the autumn, with the majority of work performed during daytime hours. Expect lane closures during off-peak travel times throughout the day.
- The right eastbound lane will remain closed 24/7 from 83rd Pl NE to 96th Ave NE starting on Monday, 3/8, and lasting up to four weeks through Friday, 4/2, to support roadway reconstruction work in advance of shifting traffic to the newly constructed lanes. There will be one single lane of traffic in the eastbound direction and two lanes in the westbound direction during this time.
- All lanes of traffic will be shifted to the southern section of SR 522 in early April.
- Left turns onto or off of SR522 through the work zone are prohibited. This restriction is expected to last though the duration of the project.
- The north shoulder of SR 522 that connects the Ivorywood Apartments to 83rd Pl NE will be inaccessible to pedestrians during construction.
- The north sidewalk that connects 96th Ave NE to the Ivorywood Apartments will remain open for the duration of this project, as will the Burke Gilman Trail between 96th Ave NE and 80th Ave NE. Transit users should plan accordingly and use alternate bus stops when possible.