Middle Housing

Middle Housing Meetings + Events

City Council:

  • Study Session - January 17
  • Study Session - February 7
  • Public Hearing - February 28 (tentative)
  • Public Hearing - March 7 (if needed)

Walking Tour of Lower Maywood:

Study Sessions are an opportunity for the public and elected officials to hear about the proposals. There is not dedicated time for public testimony. 

Public Hearings have dedicated time for public testimony. City Council can take action on proposed legislation at a Public Hearing. City Council may choose to take action at the February 21 Public Hearing.

Middle Housing FAQs

Download a copy of our Middle Housing FAQs!

  1. Get Involved!
  2. Middle Housing Survey
  3. Corner Lot Duplexes
  4. Past Events

Want to be involved?

Stay informed:

Sign up for the Imagine Bothell...Notices that go out prior to each month with the anticipated meetings, public hearings, and events.

Participate via Planning Commission and City Council:

Planning Commission and Council meetings are available for viewing via the City's YouTube channel

For recent agendas, minutes, and direct links to the YouTube recordings, visit the Agenda Center.

Provide feedback anytime:

Have some feedback or questions? Feel free to email imaginebothell@bothellwa.gov at your convenience.

What is Middle Housing?

"Missing Middle Housing is a range of house-scale buildings with multiple units--compatible in scale and form with detached single-family homes--located in a walkable neighborhood." - Opticos Design


In this diagram from Opticos, you can see that there are many different types of Middle Housing options both in size and building type. The City of Bothell is specifically discussing duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes, cottage housing, and accessory dwelling units. Middle housing can be provided in a transitional zone between Single Family and Multi-family zones, or scattered throughout many traditional residential areas.

Housing-type definitions:

What do we mean when we say "house sized building" in single family zones? Structures that have the same height and setback regulations as single-family homes.

What is an ADU? Accessory dwelling units, sometimes referred to as “granny flats” or “mother-in-law apartments,” are relatively small dwelling units that are accessory to a primary allowed use, like a single family home. Currently, ADUs are only allowed with single-family homes except in the Downtown Subarea, where they could also be accessory to a multifamily unit, like a townhome. Detached accessory dwelling units (DADUs) are sometimes referred to as “backyard cottages.”

What is a duplex? Structure with 2 independent dwelling units. These could be side by side, stacked, or front to back attached units.

What is a triplex? Structure with 3 independent dwelling units. These could be side by side, stacked, or front to back attached units. 

What is a fourplex? Structure with 4 independent dwelling units.  These could be side by side, stacked, or front to back attached units. 

What is cottage housing? These tend to be smaller scale, detached single family units, built around a shared common courtyard or outdoor space.

What are townhomes? Side by side attached units that often have multiple stories and individual entrances.

Have questions or comments?

Send us an email at imaginebothell@bothellwa.gov.